14 September 2012

Level Design/Basic Concept

So I've been drawing out the absolute basic level design. This is just a way for me to see how the Asylum is laid out and it gives me an overall goal to accomplish. The overall floor plan is very loosely designed on a floor plan I found from a British Archive of the Denbeigh Asylum (To the right of this paragraph). I focused mostly on one section of the female ward since the main character of the game is mean to be female and since the Denbeigh Asylum is HUGE and I definitely had to set perspective limits on myself -I am only one person after all, one very confident person, but still... :D

After studying the Denbeigh floorplan and focusing on what exactly I wanted to be able to show the player, this is what I ended up designing. It's a fairly simple layout, especially considering the Asylum map I was looking at, but I think it's a very realistic goal for myself.

The basic floorplan consists of two wards, Ward A being of a higher security than Ward B, a Nurse's Station a few hallways, and a high security isolation ward.









Time Sheet Week 01:


2 comments:

  1. This looks very organized. Good layout. Is the one hallway meant to be a dead-end, or were you planning on expanding? Maybe secretly connect it to one of the cells in Ward B?

    Also, +100 for Time Management(TMP)!

    Have you started the nitty gritty details yet, like what colors and atmospheres you plan to use for the layout? Design of objects? I'm seriously not trying to overwhelm you. It's cool to this coming together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough this does help. I'm trying to organize everything in a design document. I'm using the blog as a method for organizing my thoughts. The hallway actually leads out into a courtyard, If I manage to get this stuff in UDK then I might try to do some outdoor scenery, if not it will likely just end in a door.

      Yes, so much time management and excel spreadsheets, though I've fallen slightly behind.

      I've started narrowing down the final art style. For the textures I intend to use a combination of painting and realistic textures (Meaning I'll find photos or take photos of chipped paint and rust and such). I also want to utilize some of the toon outlining style that's in Borderlands. I've been working on concept art for the objects. I'm currently blocking out the layout of the rooms with simple models.

      I almost feel like I'm flailing around trying to get myself organized. I know mostly what I'm doing, but I also feel like I could be doing it better and much more efficiently.

      Delete