10 October 2012

This week on the senior thesis channel

One of the things that drives me absolutely nuts about large scale projects like this is that no matter how many goals and deadlines I successfully meet, I never feel like I'm actually getting anything done. Luckily the Maya files in my thesis folder have proved me otherwise. Something is getting accomplished!

I'm mostly finished with my blocking models. I'm doing some more research to determine how I want to build the Isolation ward. I really don't know why that room is giving me so many problems. Of course that's half the fun of a project like this, overcoming those kinds of artistic challenges.

So what have I been up to this week?

Research:

Tons of stuff on Borderlands and Gearbox software. I love the art style. I've been addicted to the toon outliner since I discovered it my freshman year here. I like how Borderlands combined the outliner with their cell shading. What's even more fascinating is how they made this "11th hour decision" in response to the fact that Fallout was coming out around the same time.

I did some more research into a good workflow for my environment and I think I've settled on one. The basics of it involves block modeling/setting up a reference file, exporting my block models to use them as a reference for the main model. Model, UV, reference back into Maya.

So by the end of this quarter I should have all of the Models created and UVed. (In 4 weeks!!! That's totally doable) I'm all ready done with over half of the main models of the first Ward. There's a lot of repetition which helps with the process.

I've also been doing some thinking and research into texture styles, which depending on how much modeling I get done I may debut next week. :D

Time sheet:
6 hours: reblocking models, setting up file naming formats (renaming everything because I messed up!:0), modeling, cleaning up models
6 hours: research into UV mapping, Gearbox software and art styles, video watching on UDK and modular workflows and doing some work on my website
3 hours: Concept work and SKYRIM (totally game research...radiant game play in response to emergent game play is very important)

No comments:

Post a Comment